Wednesday, April 25, 2012

After these messages...

I am going to make a HUGE effort to write more often. After all, my life is sooooo exciting and interesting that I should find plenty to talk about. I have some of the most amazing and hilarious friends. My day is not complete until I have talked with my friends and laughed my butt off. If it makes me pee a little, even better. One of my oldest friends recommended an app called HeyTell awhile back and it's great for making me laugh my head off.

Heytell is one of those fun apps where you can chat with your friends by using short voice messages. I really get a kick out of it because I never had a walkie-talkie as a child and I am still upset about that. But I get to make up for it now and I could even say "over and out" if I wanted to. Or 10-4 good buddy. Wait. Is that CB lingo? Whatevs. This app is fun. OH! The best part is if you or your friend says something totally hilarious, you can listen to the message over and over again. The laughs keep on coming!

So, my friend TT sends me a HeyTell message telling me that she saw a dead armadillo today and thought of me. I know what you're thinking. How sweet, right?( I have the BEST conversations with my friends) Since moving to Oklahoma, I have noticed a smattering of dead armadillos on the side of the road. Especially when traveling on the interstate. I've made it into a game: Count the Dead Armadillos! You just point at it as you drive by and yell, "One dead armadillo!" and so on. After awhile it got old saying "armadillo," so we started calling them armadillas. Then 'dillas. Don't ask why. It's funny and helps to pass the time. My sister and I counted 10 dead 'dillas on the way to Kansas and 8 on the way back.

What a cute 'dilla!

So, TT saw a dead 'dilla today and thought of me. We got to talking about whether we have ever seen one alive. She has and I don't think I have, unless it was in a zoo. I remember reading somewhere that they can transmit leprosy. Goo! So, I had to share that fun fact. And follow it up by singing, "The More You Know!" Which is something you can do on HeyTell. You can sing little ditties all day if you feel like it. 


The More You Know...about 'dillas and leprosy!

TT left me a message singing, "After these messages...we'll be right back!" If you grew up in the early '90's you know what I'm talking about. I remembered the one with the three people exchanging heads (which is pretty creepy, if you ask me) and the dog/fire hydrant one. TT said something about a cowboy one as well. I had to look that up. The things you can find on the interwebs.




Thinking about those dead armadillos made me think of my Great Granny. Don't get any weird ideas, she didn't remind me at all of a dead armadillo. She was awesome! She had a dog named Tequila and the coolest stuff: including a basket made out of a dead armadillo. WHAT?! I know! Pretty sweet. I totally forgot about that morbidly awesome knick-knack. Can baskets be knick-knacks? I wonder what happened to it. I kind of want it. I know my husband would totally let me decorate our abode in dead armadillos. HE WOULD!  So, I went back to the interwebs to see if I could track me down a dead 'dilla basket.

Found you, you wascally armadillo basket!


Apparently, these became quite popular after they were featured at the 1902 World's Fair. And because opossum purses were out of style by then. I'm kidding. You can buy one of these things for about $150-$200. Holy Moly! I also found out about "stuffed armadillos." Which are presented lying on their back with A BEER BOTTLE IN THEIR MOUTH! I don't make this stuff up! I found this website that talked all about armadillo items including something called a charango. What is that you ask? Only a guitar made from A DEAD ARMADILLO! 

These guitars are made from hairy armadillos. Think on that one.


I think I might give my mom a call and try to track down that basket. It's like a treasure hunt, but instead of gold, it's a dead animal grotesquely shaped into a basket. SCORE!





No comments:

Post a Comment