Friday, May 20, 2011

Romancing the Ordinary

   Let's just get this out there: I love books. I love the smell of books. I love how they look on a shelf or just sitting on a table. Nothing excites me more than getting ready to dive into a new book and camp out for a few days. I also love to talk about books.
        I bought a book a few years back and I have to admit I started it, but never finished. Now that I feel as if I'm starting over and embracing my new life, I have welcomed this book with open arms.



In the 1980's,  Sarah Ban Breathnach was dining out when a large ceiling panel fell and landed on her head. Although she never lost consciousness, she was left bedridden for months and her senses were severely affected.  Her eyesight became blurry, music made her dizzy, and she lost her sense of taste and smell.
She gradually gained back her senses, but not after struggling with what she had lost.

This book is divided out by month and is up to the reader how often to read each month's selections. The reader gets a whole year to read and take in everything the book has to offer. Ms. Breathnach encourages the reader to fall passionately in love with life. She offers up daily experiments and recipes for everything from gingerbread to bubble bath. This book has truly helped me to sit back and enjoy what the world has to offer. I love the quotes she includes for each passage. It gives me something to think on throughout the day. Here's a good one:   
                       "And did you get what
                       you wanted from this life, even so?
                       I did. 
                       And what did you want?
                       To call myself beloved, to feel myself
                        beloved on the earth." 

                                  Raymond Carver "Late Fragment"
           

No comments:

Post a Comment